Preliminary selection will be based on the DVD (in DVD-video format*).
Repertoire for Preliminary Selection
Applicants must play (1) to (3) consecutively and record them on DVD (in DVD-video format). Performance order of the pieces can be determined by the performer.
(1) J.S. Bach: a piece from the Well-Tempered Clavier.
(2) A Sonata by Beethoven: either the first movement from op.2-2, op.2-3, op.7, op.10-1, op.10-2, op.10-3, op.13, op.22, op.28, op.31-1, op.31-2, op.31-3, op.53, op.54, op.57, op.106 or op.111; or the first and second movements from op.27-1, op.78, op.101, op.109 or op.110.
(3) An Etude by Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Bartok, Prokofiev, Stravinsky or Ligeti.
- - The camera angle must remain unchanged and the video cannot be edited, and the applicant’s face and hands have to be clearly visible.
- - Three pieces of the repertoire must be performed consecutively without stopping the camera and be recorded on one DVD (in DVD-video format*).
- - Edited/processed video will not be considered for selection.
- - The DVD must be newly recorded for the 10th Hamamatsu International Piano Competition, and any pieces not on the repertoire list must not be recorded.
- - Name of the applicant must be indicated on DVD (for application by post).
- - Contents of the DVD, namely 1) titles, 2) composers, 3) duration of performance, 4) date and time of recording and 5) place of recording, must be indicated in the application form.
- - An applicant must obtain prior agreement from the Secretariat if, for certain reasons, he/she sends a video/audio medium other than DVD (in DVD-video format). (Submission without prior agreement will not be accepted.)
- * DVD-video format
- A standard created by the DVD Forum, and digital video stored on a DVD disc in this format can be played on general DVD players. When viewed on PC or other devices, a DVD disk formatted in DVD-video contains folders, such as VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, and the VIDEO_TS folder contains files like .IFO and .VOB.
Notification of Results
All applicants will be notified of the results of their application by June 30 (Saturday), 2018.