Contestants must arrive in Hamamatsu on the dates specified by the Secretariat (November 6, 7 and 8) and register at the Secretariat.
Each contestant is responsible for his/her travel expenses. However, the following contestants will receive travel support as outlined below.
- [Non-Japanese contestants currently residing in Asia]
- ¥50,000 as air travel and domestic travel expense support
- [Non-Japanese contestants currently residing outside of Asia]
- ¥100,000 as air travel and domestic travel expense support
- [Japanese contestants currently residing outside of Japan]
- 50% of the above-stated travel support [Contestants currently residing in Japan] Not eligible for travel support
- - Contestants who possess dual-nationality will receive the travel support based on the country they are currently residing.
- - Contestants must inform the Secretariat as soon as possible when the place of residence changes after sending in the application.
The Organizer will bear the accommodation expenses of the contestant and provide a daily per diem allowance for food, only if the contestant stays in a hotel/hotels specified by the Secretariat from the day of contestant registration until the following dates.
- (1) First Stage contestants
- until morning of November 14, 2018
- (2) Second Stage contestants
- until morning of November 19, 2018
- (3) Third Stage contestants
- until morning of November 23, 2018
- (4) Finalists
- until morning of November 26, 2018
Selection of Pianos
Contestants will have the opportunity to test the pianos provided by the Secretariat and choose one for their performances.
Beginning two days before the First Stage (November 7), a room with a grand piano will be made available to each contestant at no charge for a period specified below.
- First Stage contestants
- 4 hours or more per day.
- Second, Third Stage contestants and Finalists
- 12 hours per day in a dedicated practice room
- - The Third Stage contestants will rehearse with the chamber musicians the day before the Third Stage (November 18).
- - The finalists will rehearse with the orchestra before the Final Stage (November 21 or 22).
Decision on the Order of Appearance
The order of appearance will be decided at the Drawing for Appearance Order (November 8) and will not change once it has been decided. However, changes to the Final Stage only may be made when necessary.